April 30, 2012

Coin Slot up-grade 1.1

Whilst looking at R5's skin the other day, I realised that my coin slots would have to be modified, as they would stick out from the body/skin to much. My coin slots were made to the R2 club spec plans, but due to my frame's up-right's position being in the way and R5's skin thickness being less thick, I need to make these changes for them to fit right.

So I disassembled the coin slots, by removing the sel-lok pins holding them in place against the back plate. Then I set each coin slot up in the vice on the Milling machine and milled them down to suitable size for R5's frame.

Then I drilled right through to completely open up the slots. Due to the cutter length, I wasn't able to do this the first time. I then filled the slot ends square.
R2-D2 coin slots
Up-graded coin slots :D
They still need to be secured in place.


It was late when I got to work on the Skin. So no power tools! Had to use Mr Stanley knife to score and cut through. Then used wood glue to help seal the edges. This took about an hour!


Am thinking of fitting some blue L.E.D.'s behind the slots to shine through. If I do, I'm hoping to  use some perspecs plastic to defuse the glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment